Sourdough cob loaf
- Preparation Time8 hours
- Cooking Time 20 mins + 1-2 hours
This is a 1:2:3 ratio bread which gives 71% hydration.
The listed quantities makes 1080g of dough which makes two cob loaves - you can use whatever flour you like as long as they add to 540g
- 180 Gram sourdough starter
(fed the night before)
- 360 Gram water
- 486 Gram high grade flour
- 54 Gram rye flour
(this is 10% of the total flour)
- 13 Gram salt
(this is 1.2% of the total)
- Add all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix to combine
- Kneed for 8-9 minutes
- Put back in bowl to rest for an hour or two
- Carefully remove from bowl and divide into two parts for shaping
- Shape each loaf carefully and put on a chopping board to rest, covered with a tea towel.
- Reshape every hour or two until ready to bake - this is going to depend on temperature and starter health, also whatever fits in with your schedule. If you start at 8am, you could probably bake at 4pm.
- Heat the oven to 230C with the empty over tray, and get ready with a spray bottle of water and a box-cutting knife (or other shape knife / razor)
- After one final reshape, put directly onto the over tray, slice the top of the dough and spray water as you add them to the oven quickly - water helps the bread rise and form a nice caramalization on the crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 230C, then turn oven off. Remove the tray and put the bread directly on the racks and leave in the oven for another hour or two or until the oven is cold.
- Bread can be sliced up when cool and put in air-tight bags into the freezer.